Sweet chilli, soy and sesame beef ribs
10 - 12 beef short ribs
0.5 cup sweet chilli sauce
0.25 cup tomato sauce
0.25 cup soy sauce
3 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Place the beef ribs in a large saucepan, cover ribs with water. Bring slowly to simmering point, over a low heat, simmer gently, partially covered for 1 hr.
- Remove ribs from water, mix with combined chilli, tomato and soy sauces, garlic and ginger. Stand for 30 mins or marinate overnight.
- Barbecue ribs over a moderate heat for 10-12 mins (see tips right), turning often and basting with any marinade until ribs are golden brown. Serve sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.
- Ask your butcher or meat manager at the supermarket about beef ribs. As a guide serve 2-3 beef ribs per person.
- Simmer ribs the day before, drain, marinate and refrigerate overnight. It's then easy to simply barbecue them the next day. Because the ribs are thick and are only cooked for a short time, bring them to room temperature before barbecuing.
- Ribs can be cooked on the barbecue, by either indirect or direct heat. Using indirect heat in a covered barbecue will take about 12 mins, turn them once or twice. If using direct heat over an open barbecue have a cooler zone on the barbecue so they can be pushed to the side. ****