Lamb kebabs and yoghurt sauce
600 g lamb eye of shortloin/backstrap, trimmed grated rind and juice 1 lemon
2 sprigs mint, leaves only, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 lebanese cucumbers, halved, seeded, sliced
1 red capsicum, finely sliced
1 punnet grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
mixed salad greens
extra 3 sprigs mint, leaves only
plain thick yoghurt and lemon wedges to serve
- Cut lamb into 3cm cubes. Thread onto 8 skewers (4-5 pieces of lamb on each). Combine rind, juice, mint and oil. Brush over kebabs. Marinate for 10 mins, if possible.
- Preheat barbecue char-grill plate or pan to moderately-hot. Cook kebabs on one side until moisture appears before you turn them. Cook for 2 mins on each side.
- Remove kebabs and cover, rest them for 3 mins. Toss together salad ingredients. Serve kebabs with the salad, yoghurt and lemon.
- Brush metal skewers with oil or soak wooden skewers in cold water (for about 10 minutes) before threading the beef to help it slip off easily once cooked.
- Leave a little space between the cubes of meat so that the heat can get to all sides. Placing thickish onion or capsicum pieces between the beef cubes works well to help space the meat.