- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- For the love of BBQ
- Lamb, tomato and avocado open sandwich
Lamb, tomato and avocado open sandwich
300 g lamb steak (round or topside)
0.25 cup mayonnaise
0.5 small clove garlic, crushed
4 thick slices of your favourite bread, toasted
0.25 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
125 g cherry tomatoes, halved
20 g baby spinach leaves
0.5 avocado, thinly sliced
- Brush the lamb steaks lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the barbecue flat-plate or char-grill plate to hot before adding the steaks.
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn steaks once only. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs. Rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm.
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 2 minutes before serving.
- Combine mayonnaise and garlic. Spread the toasted bread with sun-dried tomato pesto. Slice lamb steaks diagonally and arrange on the bread along with the tomatoes, avocado and spinach.
- Take the lamb from the fridge a few minutes before cooking. If the meat is chilled the rate of cooking will be slowed down. As this is a quick cooking method the end result will be better if meat is at room temperature before cooking. Take it from the fridge about 10 minutes before you cook (no longer).
- Best lamb cuts for barbecuing, char-grilling or pan-frying; eye of loin/backstrap, tenderloin/fillet, loin chops, cutlets, lamb steaks (round or topside).