- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Family meals comes first
- Italian family beef roast
Italian family beef roast
1 kg piece beef rib eye
2 tbsp dried Italian herbs
0. beef stock (optional)
roast vegetables and beans to serve
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Brush beef lightly with oil and brown on all sides in a medium-high heat frypan. Season the beef with salt and pepper and rub with the Italian herbs.
- Place beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast for 40 minutes for rare, 50 minutes for medium and 60 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer.
- Remove beef, cover loosely with foil, and rest beef for 20 minutes before carving.
- While the beef is resting. Remove any excess fat from the roasting dish and stock and scrape up any meat residue. Bring to the boil and reduce by one third. To serve, slice beef and serve with roasted vegetables, beans and warm gravy.
- Suggested roasting times per 500g for: rib eye/scotch fillet, rump, sirloin, fillet/tenderloin, standing rib roast, rolled rib beef roast. Cook at 200ºC. Rare 15-20 min per 500g, Medium 20-25 min per 500g, Well done 25-30 min per 500g.
- Judging your roast's degree of doneness using a meat thermometer.
- The internal temperature for: Rare 55-60ºC, Medium rare 60-65ºC, Medium 65-70ºC, Medium well 70-75ºC, Well done 75ºC.
- You can also use tongs to test the roast's doneness. Gently prod or squeeze the roast Rare is very soft, medium rare is soft, medium is springy but soft, medium well is firm and well done is very firm.