Garlic and oregano roast lamb
1 kg boneless lean leg of lamb
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
roasted vegetables including sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and onions to serve
- Marinate the lamb with the oil, herbs, garlic, rind and juice. Refrigerate overnight, if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drain the lamb from the marinade and place in a roasting dish. Reserve the marinade. Roast for 50 minutes for rare, 60 minutes for medium, or 70 minutes for well done. Baste twice with the reserved marinade during cooking.
- Remove lamb, cover loosely, rest lamb for 15 minutes before carving. Serve lamb with roasted vegetables including sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and onions.
- Roasting times per 500g: Lamb loin (boned and rolled), leg or shoulder (bone-in), easy carve leg or shoulder Cook at 180ºC. Rare 20-25 min, Medium 25-30 min, Well done 30-35 min.
- Judging your roast's degree of doneness using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature for: Rare 55-60ºC, Medium rare 60-65ºC, Medium 65-70ºC, Medium well 70-75ºC, Well done 75ºC.
- You can also use tongs to test the roast's doneness. Gently prod or squeeze the roast rare is very soft, medium rare is soft, medium is springy but soft, medium well is firm and well done is very firm.
- Leftover lamb can be used for sandwiches and wraps.