Boneless lamb shoulder roast with crushed kipflers
1.2kg Boneless Lamb shoulder roast, fat trimmed, trussed*
60ml (1/4 cup)Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Sweet paprika
2 tsp Smoked paprika
3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
2 tbsp Finely chopped marjoram
2 tbsp Finely chopped tarragon
wild rocket salad, to serve
700kg Kipflers, washed
190g (2/3 cup) Natural Greek-style yoghurt
75g (1/2 cup) Seeded kalamata olives, drained, halved
1/4 cup Firmly packed basil leaves, finely shredded
1 Small red onion, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C. To roast the boneless lamb shoulder, place oil, spices, garlic with herbs in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add lamb and using your hands, rub well to coat. Transfer lamb to a large roasting pan with a roasting rack. Pour any excess marinade left in bowl over the lamb and season liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 1½ hours or until cooked through to your liking. Rest for 10 minutes before carving to serve.
- Meanwhile, to make crushed kipflers, boil, steam or microwave kipflers until tender. Drain and place in a large heatproof bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, coarsely crush kipflers until smashed but still chunky. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined. Season to taste.
- To serve, divide smashed kipflers among four plates, top with carved lamb and serve with baby wild rocket salad.
- Omit the yoghurt if desired and substitute with freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil.
- Get your local butcher to truss you boneless lamb shoulder roast.