Best beef bolognaise
500 g beef mince
1 small onion, finely chopped
200 g button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
750 ml bottle of tomato pasta sauce
0.5 cup beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp dried oregano
spaghetti to serve
- Place beef mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan, ensure it is hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Brown the mince, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Remove first batch, reheat pan and cook remaining mince and then remove.
- Add onion, mushrooms and garlic, cook until onion is soft. Return mince to frypan and add the tomato pasta sauce, stock, tomato paste, sugar and oregano.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to sauce if needed as it cooks. Serve with spaghetti.
- You will need to cook the mince in 2 batches. Crumble the mince over the base of the pan rather than adding it in one clump, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Freeze a batch of the meat sauce. Plan ahead and make a double quantity of the meat sauce. Use half and keep the other half for a quick and easy meal to serve over spaghetti. The meat sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance. It can be frozen for 3 months, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator.