Beef, potato and pea curry
1 kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
1 medium onion, sliced
2 tbsp mild curry paste
1 tbsp plain flour
3 cups beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 large potatoes, peeled, cut into large dice
1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 tbsp oil, and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add onion and cook for 12 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Add the curry paste and sprinkle in the flour and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in stock and add the tomato paste, stirring well. Add the potato and stir until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered. In the last 10 minutes cooking time, stir in the peas.
- Cooktop method: Place the browned beef and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water or stock if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.
- Cut the beef into even sized pieces. Keeping the beef consistent in size (2.5cm-3cm cubes), will give your curry consistency in texture and flavour.
- Beef casserole cuts and approximate cooking times: Chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef - 2 to 2½ hours Topside, round, blade - 1 to 1½ hours