Barbecued beef burger with mango relish
500 g Beef mince
0.25 cup sweet chilli sauce (optional)
1 cloves red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped basil
2 small fresh mangoes, diced
0.5 small red onion, finely sliced
0.70 cup vinegar
0.5 cup brown sugar
1 finely chopped chilli
halved rolls, lettuce leaves, to serve
- Combine the beef mince, water, sauce, onion and basil. Mix lightly, shape into 4 burgers.
- Preheat the barbecue flat-plate or pan to moderately-high. Lightly brush or spray the burgers with oil. Add burgers to the barbecue or pan, after 1-2 minutes lower the heat to moderate.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes each side or until thoroughly cooked. Turn them once only.
- While burgers are cooking place the mangoes, onion, vinegar, sugar and chilli in a small pan. Cook over a low heat until mangoes are just tender, and relish is syrupy. To serve, place lettuce on rolls, add burgers, and add a spoon of mango relish to each.
- Turn the burgers once only. Don't be tempted to turn them too early or they'll stick to the barbecue and fall apart.
- To turn them gently ease a spatula under each beef burger to lift it from the heat, then, carefully turn the burger with tongs.
- Burgers and rissoles should always be thoroughly cooked. They should not be served rare or pink. A good guide is to insert a skewer into the thickest part of the burger, you will see a little juice ooze out. If it is ready to eat the juices will be clear, not pinkish.