- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Raise a roast
- Balinese beef bolar blade roast with coconut rice
Balinese beef bolar blade roast with coconut rice
1 kg Beef bolar blade roast
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
½ long Red chilli, chopped
3 cm Peeled ginger, peeled, sliced
1 Eschalot, chopped
2 tbsp Kecap manis (sweet soy)
Squeeze of lime juice
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1 cup Black (or brown or wild) rice
¼ cup Shredded coconut, toasted
150g Green beans, trimmed, halved
1 bunch Asparagus, trimmed, cut into thirds
100g Snow peas, thinly sliced
1 punnet Cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp Chilli sambal (or sambal oelek), plus extra to serve with beef
to serve Lime wedges
- Place beef in a roasting dish. Place garlic, chilli, ginger and eschalot in a mortar and pestle and pound to a paste. Stir in kecap manis, lime and fish sauce. Spread all over beef. Cook at 200°C for 15 minutes then reduce to 160C and cook for 45-50 minutes for medium rare. Rest, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until ready to serve.
- Wash rice and place in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until tender. Stir through toasted coconut.
- Place beans and asparagus in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Sit for 1 minute and drain. Toss with snow peas, cherry tomatoes and sambal.
- Rest beef and slice into ½ cm slices. Serve with coconut rice and sambal vegetables, lime wedges and extra sambal, if desired.
- Black rice is now available from large supermarkets or from health food stores.
- Instead of a mortar and pestle you can use a small food processor for similar results.