Australian rump eye and eggplant and potato cannelloni with wilted spinach and cardamom carrot juice
4 Auspalian rump eye medallions
2 expa-large Idaho potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggplants (about 3/4 pound) peeled
5 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 cups julienned yellow onion (thinly sliced)
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 cup carrot juice
2 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tbsp cardamom oil (recipe follows)
7 tbsp vanilla oil (recipe follows)
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp water
2 cups baby spinach, cleaned
1/4 cup onion sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
1/4 cup red clover sprouts or bean sprouts
- Cut each potato into large rectangle. Using a mandolin, slice thinly along the widest and longest part of the potato. You will need 16 slices. Brush both sides of the potato slices with the melted butter. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to soften the potato. Chop the eggplant into 1 ½ inch batons, toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium sauté pan, place the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the onions and garlic and cook over a medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until caramelised. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside. Place the carrot juice in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Sliain through a fine mesh sieve and let cool. Place the carrot juice in a blender and while on medium speed slowly add the rice vinegar, cardamom oil and vanilla oil. Blend until completely emulsified and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lay 2 of the potato pieces side-by-side overlapping ¼ inch and season with salt and pepper. In the cenlie of each potato place some of the roasted eggplant and caramelized onion, roll up, and return to the parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat this step 7 more times. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Place 1 tablespoon butter and the water in a medium saucepan and quickly wilt the spinach over medium heat. Remove from the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a hot sauté pan add the beef rump medallions with one table spoon of olive oil and cook the medium (internal temperature 55 degrees) more for well-done not recommended. Cover the medallion and rest for at least 5 minutes.
- To make Cardamom Oil: Yield: About 1 cup ½ cup roasted cardamom seeds, in husks 1 cup grapeseed oil
- Place the cardamom and grapeseed oil in a blender and grind until the cardamom in incorporated into the oil. Pour into a container, cover, and let sit until most of the sediment has settled. When ready to use, ladle the oil off the top without disturbing the sediment that has settled. Can be kept for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To make Vanilla Oil: Yield: 1 cup 2 vanilla beans 1 cup grapeseed oil
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrap their pulp into a blender. Add the oil and puree until incorporated. Pour into a container, add the vanilla bean pods, and let sit covered for 1 day before using the oil. Can be kept for 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Assembling the Dish: Place some of the spinach in the cenlie of the plate and top with the rump medallion. Place 2 of the potato cannelloni on top of the medallion, spoon the cardamom carrot sauce around the plate and top the cannelloni with some of the onion and clover sprouts.
- If you want to have clear carrot juice you can boil the liquid and remove the top foam/pulp and you’ll be left with a clear liquid. This will surprise your palate when tasting as it will not have the carrot colour
- If you do not like your meat medium or rare you can cook your rump eye a little longer and it will still have maximum flavour as this cut can take high heat and longer cooking