- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Australian Lamb Maqluba
Australian Lamb Maqluba
1 kg Australian Lamb Shoulder
1 kg basmati rice
4 tsp olive oil
2 onions, medium-sized chunks
2 carrots, medium-sized chunks
5 bay leaves
2 celery stalks, chopped
5 cinnamon sticks
1 potato, thickly sliced
3 eggplants, peeled in zebra stripes, thickly sliced
4 cups beef stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
Pine nuts, roasted
- In a pressure cooker, sear the lamb in oil for a few minutes. Then, add onions, celery, stock and carrots. Close and cook for 40-60 minutes, until the lamb is tender.
- Once cooked, reserve some stock. Add pepper, salt, turmeric powder, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and 5-6 raisins to enhance the flavour of the broth.
- Next, heat oil in a pan. Add eggplants and fry until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside. Then, add the potatoes to the same pan and cook them until browned.
- In a pot, start with layering the lamb, followed by a layer of potatoes. Then, add some rice. For the next layer, place the eggplants and top it with the leftover rice.
- Add the reserved stock slowly on top, without spoiling the layers.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is cooked through.
- To serve Maqluba, remove the lid and place a large serving plate or tray as the lid. Carefully flip the pot using the handles.
- Garnish with raisins and roasted pine nuts.
- Serve Maqluba with a delicious and colorful salad on the side.
Let the Maqluba rest for a few minutes before flipping it onto a serving plate.