American 'fiesta' skirt steak salad
800g Beef skirt steak
1 small Brown onion, roughly chopped
75ml Balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp Freshly ground pepper
1/2 bunch Coriander, including stalks
1 Yellow capsicum, seeds and stem removed, sliced thickly lengthwise
1 Red capsicum, seeds and stem removed, sliced thickly lengthwise
2 Brown onions, sliced thinly into rounds
1 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
400g tin Borlotti beans, rinsed
2 large Vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Ripe avocados, sliced
1 bunch Rocket leaves, washed
Extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Place marinade ingredients in a food processor and process until finely chopped and almost a paste. Marinate steak for at least 30 minutes in the marinade blend or up to two hours.
- Preheat a char grill over high heat . Remove meat from marinade and wipe off what you can. Cook steak pieces 2 minutes on each side for medium rare or 5 minutes for medium and set aside to rest. Wipe pan with paper towel and do not change temperature of pan.
- In a mixing bowl, toss capsicum, and onion with oil, salt and pepper then add to chargrill pan. Cook for 8-‐10 minutes until very soft, add tomatoes and cook until grilled and softened, adding the balsamic vinegar toward the end. Place rocket leaves on a platter, top with caramelized vegetables and beans, then add avocado slices and top with thinly sliced steak.
- Drizzle with some extra balsamic and olive oil and serve.
- You can serve salad rolled up as burritos in store-‐ bought , warmed flour tortillas as a ‘do-‐it-‐yourself’ rustic dinner in the center of the table
- Leftovers can be wrapped up in a wrap the night before in foil and toasted the next day for lunch.
- Can serve with tinned refried beans instead of whole borlotti beans.
- You can substitute any soft cheese here such as goats cheese, grated tasty or labne (Mediterranean yoghurt cheese)